Anita du Toit is a senior consultant and partner at Franchising Plus, South Africa’s leading franchising consultancy firm. She has become one an authority on social franchising with extensive experience and papers published.
Her work in social franchising is underpinned by the principles learnt in more than 18 years of consulting within the franchise sector.
Projects and Experience
Anita's experience on projects include conducting feasibility studies, development and implementation of social and micro franchise models and measurement of implementation results.
She was the lead consultant to organisations that formed part of the Social Franchise Accelerator in partnership with the University of Cape Town and the international Centre for Social Franchising (ICSF).
Other social franchise projects included:
- North West province Department of Health - Developing a social franchise
- Soul City – Franchise feasibility study on The Soul Buddyz programme, an educational programme aimed at training on advocacy and life skills for underprivileged school going children
- Leap Schools ESTEP programme – a trainee teacher support programme: Development of franchise model and operations manual
- Amandla Edufootball – a soccer and life skills programme run in townships in South Africa for school children. This project included the development of operations and training manuals
- Consulting to the Department of Economic Development and Tourism, Western Cape on ICAN – a programme to enhance internet connectivity and engagement in disadvantaged communities. Included development of the business model, operations and training manuals
- Unjani Clinics – Review and advice on a micro franchise based on the franchising of small primary health clinics in poor communities
- Daily Sun for Media 24 – Development of a micro franchise model for newspaper distribution in townships. The project included an operations manual and the delivery of training on basic business skills.
Anita has been a franchising consultant since 1998 and has gained experience with clients across diverse industries including telecommunications, automotive and retail.
She strongly believes that the franchising model, both in social and commercial applications, could be a powerful catalyst for South Africa’s economic development.
Anita also worked as a Franchise Specialist at First National Bank, gaining experience in the financing of franchises. She was instrumental in introducing the Franchise Think Tank and x2in5 initiative, an initiative aimed at doubling the franchise sector within 5 years.
Anita holds a Masters Degree in Marketing Management cum laude from the University of Pretoria.
She has authored papers on tandem franchising and social franchising for the South African Department of Trade and Industry. She has presented a number of papers at international conferences such as the International Society of Franchising and the Economics and Management of Networks.
Anita’s papers have been published in industry journals including the Journal of Marketing Channels and Franchising Law and Policy review.
She has contributed to two international publications, Social Franchising and Handbook of Research on Franchising.
Tel: +27 11 454 2235